Answered By: Kealin McCabe Last Updated: Jul 19, 2021 Views: 2
There are 5 steps to evidence-based practice:
- Construct a "searchable question" from a clinical scenario.
- Plan and carry out a search of the literature for the best evidence.
- Critically appraise the literature for validity and applicability.
- Apply the evidence to your clinical practice.
- Evaluate your performance.
One of the tools researchers use to construct a searchable question is PICO:
|P = coronary artery bypass surgery
I = preoperative education
C = postoperative education
O = patient compliance to postoperative activities
For more information on this approach see our comprehensive research guide here: https://libguides.unbc.ca/nursing/evidence-based-nursing